Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lost Nvidia Geforce 310M

My graphic card disappeared from my asus. I was trying to load latest linux nvidia drivers (with modprobe nvidia) to use the Nvidia Geforce 310m under linux but it told me no such device. The card is also missing in lspci output when I boot Gentoo. And it is not showing anymore in Windows device manager. I only got the Intel HD video driver. Actually, I am not sure anymore about seeing Nvidia driver there... This started to drive me crazy until I read my previous post and saw the line I was looking for :
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)
I did not find anything disabled in the BIOS. As far as I remember, I only switched boot devices (well using Esc key let you choose the booting device). Well I am currently restoring the four AI Recovery backup DVD and I will see if it helps... The card is still missing after recovery. I just filed a case on Asus support web site... Follow up in comments.

9 comments:

ded' said...

No answer from asus yet. I turned on the laptop tonight just in case. And guess what ? The Nvidia Geforce 310m is back ! And my performance meter is back to 4.7 ! WTF !?

Karan Kadam said...

How did you manage to get it back? I have the same laptop and exactly the same problem. The GeForce 310m is no longer showing up in device manager!

Karan Kadam said...

Just figured it out. You need to reset your BIOS settings to defaults and somehow the card will magically reappear! Strange.

ded' said...

It happened once again after applying 15 Windows updates. But the card was back on next reboot.

sampi said...

You saved my life =)

BIOS update + resetting settings to default worked, now I see 2 display adapters instead of just one.

Thanks =)

EMON said...

I'm also experiencing the same problem. Please tell me how to reset or update BIOS.

digiknowzone said...

Hi, I'm using this:

nvidia 310m CUDA 1gb
It was all good until this morning. Where while I was playing StarCraftII, it made a memory dump. After the boot, my resolution was back to 800X600. Nvidia Control Panel is gone. And the Nvidia device in the device manager is gone as well.

I tried downloading nvdia test kits, and they both showed that the GPU is "off". Tried downloading the latest driver for the said 310m, but during the installation, it said something like: "No compatible hardware installed".

Am I missing something?Help please! thanks!

digiknowzone said...

also, I tried the BIOS back to default settings and restart. But still no good, another thing is that, I can't even see the GPU settings in my BIOS!! help!! X{

Noun said...

I've had this problem a few times too, you just need restart your pc and press f2 when the asus boot screen appears, there you should reset the BIOS. Someone, posted it on Nvidia's website because he had seen many people with this problem, but this solution wasn't posted.